Thursday, August 4, 2011

On the road

Today (or rather yesterday, since it is now technically Thursday), I set out on the first leg of a journey that would seem perhaps simple to most people, but a huge challenge to me.

I have not traveled more than a hundred or so miles from home since I was 12 years old. I am 35 now.

Today alone, my traveling companion and I have driven over 500 miles, I think. We have that much and more to travel tomorrow before we reach our destination in the suburbs of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

I have also never traveled for very far with anyone who wasn't a very close friend or family member. My traveling companion for this trip is a dear friend who I've known for about 4 years, but have only met in the flesh for the first time late Tuesday night. We spent much of our time on the road discussing topics like the interconnectedness of all things, and whether jellyfish have the mental capacity to make choices, and other matters of life and love and wonder.

It was at some point passing through New York state, after the rains had cleared up a bit and the sun was blindingly bright, that I realized that this is a huge spiritual journey for me on a personal, emotional level. I'm not simply going to visit friends, I am going to help find myself. Two years ago, even ONE year ago, I would not have had the bravery to overcome my anxieties to make this journey. Even now, I am a bit scared.

From my hotel room in Erie, PA - goodnight, world. I'll keep you posted.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: