Monday, October 6, 2008

Finally, yay! My Halloween 2008 build.

'In The Hall of the Pumpkin King'
Installation by Nebulosus Severine [2008]
Cetus Gallery District

In The Hall of the Pumpkin King

Although Halloween is my favorite holiday, I had some difficulty with this installation for weeks. I scrapped several things I started, and ended up building pretty much everything in one day.

Though I used mostly traditional Halloween imagery (pumpkins, gravestones, etc.), the central shrine was inspired in part by the 'ofrenda,' a traditional altar constructed to honor the dead during Dias De Los Muertos (observed November 1st and 2nd). I have echoed this imagery with the sugar skulls on either side of the Pumpkin King.

The name "Pumpkin King" is not intended to refer to Jack Skellington in 'The Nightmare Before Christmas.' Rather, this Pumpkin King is the Halloween Everyman, the spirit of All Hallow's Eve that resides within all who revel in this holiday.

This installation is rather simple, and is meant to be. It is a celebration of color and light and atmosphere -- intended to be a whimsical and a little bit eerie.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.