Friday, January 30, 2009

Paintings

Some of the paintings I've done in the past 5 years:

Pressure
Title: Pressure
Year: 2008
Dimensions: 14 in. X 11 in.
Media: Acrylic on canvas.


Song to the Siren (Marianas)
Title: Song to the Siren (Marianas)
Year: 2006
Dimensions: 8 in. X 10 in.
Media: Acrylic on canvas


Viscera/What I Have Written, I Have Written
Title: Viscera/What I Have Written, I Have Written
Year: 2004
Dimensions: 14 in. X 11 in.
Media: Acrylic and thread on canvas.



XI
Title: XI
Year: 2004
Dimensions: 31.5 in. X 30 in.
Media: Acrylic paint and thread on canvas.
Commentary: This piece has a lot of my history behind it. It started as a canvas I stretched for a painting class I took in college. The canvas was intended for a project that was barely started; only a preliminary sketch was ever done. I took it home with me at the end of the semester, intending to use it for another work at a later time. Another preliminary sketch was done on it and never completed. One night in a fit of rage I cut the canvas to ribbons with a box cutter. I didn't have the heart to throw it away, so I saved it. Some time later I moved into my grandmother's house and took the thing with me. I sewed it back together as neatly as I could and painted it with layers upon layers of gesso to cover the previously made pencil markings. I abandoned the canvas yet again until years later when I moved into a friend's. I recently completed it over the summer. I didn't add much to it; it needed to be cleaned to remove layers of dust and the stain of cigarette smoke. I added a simple coat of white and silver paint. I didn't want to detract from the simplicity of the stitching. In the end, I entitled it 'XI' because it took me eleven years to finally complete it.


Abyss
Title: Abyss
Year: 2004
Dimensions: 32 in. X 40 in.
Media: Acrylic paint and staples on canvas.
* Was shown at the Salon De Independents,
Hygienic Arts, New London, CT
www.hygienic.org/
January 28 - February 11, 2006


4 comments:

Arahan Claveau said...

Awesome collection Nebooshkin. I think 'Pressure' is my favourite, there is an understated ambience about it that stands out.

Nebulosus Severine / CM Pauluh said...

Thanks, Mr. Actually, 'Pressure' is one of the least favorite paintings I've ever done! Haha. I think it looks better on the computer screen than it does in person -- or maybe I am just being neurotic about it.

Arahan Claveau said...

Ah! Well I like it, funny how that works. I do it too, often through over-familiarity with a piece, just get sick of looking at it, once it's done I prefer to forget about it and move on to something else, but that doesn't mean to say someone else won't appreciate it.

Nebulosus Severine / CM Pauluh said...

That's true, it's often difficult to look at one's own work objectively. I'm glad you like it, though; & you're not the first to comment on that piece, so I must have done something right!