Wednesday, January 7, 2009

RIP, Great-Uncle Bill

A couple of days ago, my mother told me that my great-uncle Bill (her father's brother) had passed away on New Year's (eve or day, I'm not sure which). He was pretty old (92, I think) and it sounds like he just died of old age. I was not close to him, but I still felt a twinge of sadness...

A couple of summers ago, I spent a few days in Maine, and he was kind enough to let my roommate & me stay overnight in one of the little cottages behind his house. She and I spent some time with him while we were there, just talking and keeping him company. I hadn't seen him since I was a kid, probably. Despite his age, he was very alert; his mind still sharp as a tack.

Hearing of his death made me feel a little nostalgic, so I dug up photos from that vacation; sadly, I don't have any pictures of him.

Cottage at my Great-Uncle Bill's - 1
The cottage we stayed in

Maine Diner
The Maine Diner, where we've eaten several times over the years

Kennebunkport - 12
Statue & flowers in front of a photographer's studio in Kennebunkport

Drakes Island Beach, Maine - 3
Rainbow at Drakes Island Beach

Drakes Island Beach, Maine - 10
Setting sun at Drakes Island

York, Maine - 8
Nubble Lighthouse in York

See the rest of the photoset here.




No comments: