Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer Camp, 1985

This installation is the Second Life counterpart to my painting "Bending Trees," for the Aequitas group exhibition in both NYC and the Caerleon Art Collective sim.

Bending Trees (diptych)

Summer Camp, 1985

When I was first approached to be in this exhibition, and was told that the theme of the show was to be based around childhood memories, I instantly knew which of my own experiences I would revisit:

Summer Camp, 1985

I was a pretty sheltered, innocent, carefree child until I went away to summer camp when I was about 9 years old. The two weeks I was away destroyed me emotionally; I was terribly homesick, and was completely ostracized and rejected by the other kids in the camp (including my friend, whom I had gone with specifically so that neither of us would feel totally alone). It was really the beginning of a huge complex I still have to this day over my fear of rejection. Obviously, I've come a long way since I was 9 years old, but that experience with summer camp traumatized me deeply. When I returned home, finally, I had separation anxiety from my mother, and I had to go to therapy for a long time afterward. I did end up a stronger person in some ways, and my independent thinking & my resolve to fight and stick up for myself grew as a result. So, for what it's worth, the experience, though mostly bad, DID turn out to be positive in many ways, and really helped to make me what I am today.

Summer Camp, 1985

In this installation, I attempted to capture an experience I had every sunrise while away at camp. As I'd slowly wake in my sleeping bag, for the first brief moments I would believe that I was home, in my own bed; and as I'd fully gain consciousness, the horror of my situation would set in once again.

Summer Camp, 1985

I have a recurring fear that perhaps the past 24 years of my life have been a dream, and someday I will wake up, still in bed at camp.

Instructions for viewing:
- Set daylight settings to Sunrise (World -- Environment Settings -- Sunrise)
- Turn up the volume on Sounds
- Touch the bed (Disable your animation override, if applicable)
- Touch the radio underneath the bed

Teleport - http://slurl.com/secondlife/Caerleon%20Art%20Collective2/63/31/21

No comments: